Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Peanut Butter Ice-Cream Pie with Pretzel Crust


Peanut Butter Ice Cream Pie with Pretzel Crust

I have done it.

I have finally made the pie.

I know what you must be thinking right now.

1. Why are there pretzels on the pie?
2. Why are you making a FROZEN pie in October?
3. What do you mean by "The" pie?
4. Is it some secret formulated pie that will end world hunger?
5. Will you be giving me this hunger-ending pie recipe anytime soon?
6. Why am I even reading this list?
7. Seriously. What the heck. Pretzels.



While this isn't the pie that will end world hunger, or really any special kind of pie; it is, in a way, special to me. You see, my mother isn't a dessert person. She has a savory tooth. She's more of a double cheese omelet with bacon bits and mushrooms kind of person for breakfast. The kind of chick that likes to sit down in a big leather chair with a white fuzzy robe on watching reality t.v. while munching on BBQ chips and cream cheese. She does not, needless to say, have much of a desire for anything sweet.

Except today.


I went out on a mission to find a dessert my mom would love. Even though she isn't a sweet person, I knew there had to be something I could make that she would literally love. Sure, she's eaten my sweets before. Cookies, apple pie, etc... but nothing she's gone back to second helpings for. Well, whatdya know. The day has finally come.

With peanut butter pie and pretzels.

The peanut butter pie is nothing special. You got peanut butter, cream cheese, sugar, butter, and whipped cream which is folded in. Then you got the mystery ingredient: pretzels. A crust made with crushed pretzels, brown sugar, and butter. The contrast in sweet/salty is amazing. Almost too good.

I got the idea when my mom told me about a year ago that one of her favorite things is pretzels dipped in peanut butter. I thought this was the weirdest thing ever (and showed so by saying "ewewewewewewewewewewewewEW" for an hour) until I actually tried it. And then I realized that yes: Pretzels and Peanut Butter. They were meant to be. They were bffl. They were soul mates.

They were in a pie.
And all was good in the world.

So don't be skeptical. Try it out. It's easy to make. Just make sure to freeze it, not refrigerate, and don't leave it out on the counter for too long... Even though it tastes just as good half-melted. :P

Peanut Butter Ice-Cream Pie with Pretzel Crust

PRETZEL CRUST INGREDIENTS:
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoon butter, softened*
1 tablespoon and 1-1/2 teaspoons brown sugar*
1-1/4 cups finely crushed pretzels *

PIE INGREDIENTS:
1 (8oz) package cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar (powdered sugar)
1 cup peanut butter
1 cup milk
3/4 of a 16oz package of frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 pre-baked pretzel crust

DIRECTIONS:
1. To make Pretzel Crust, preheat your oven to 350.
2. Combine butter, brown sugar, and pretzels together in a bowl. Press the mixture in a 9in. pie dish and bake for 8-10 minutes. Allow pie crust to cool.
3. To make the pie, beat together the cream cheese and confectioners' sugar. Mix in peanut butter and milk. Beat until smooth. Using a spatula, fold in whipped topping. (To fold in whipped topping,add the whipped topping and, using your spatula, cut through the middle of the batter, while spinning the bowl around, fold the whipped cream up and over the batter. Do this withall whipped topping until you cannot see any remaining whipped topping.)
4. Spoon into Pretzel Crust. Cover loosely and stick in freezer for up to 1 hour or until firm.

*Additionally, you can garnish like I did above with any left over pretzel crust you may have. Make sure not to overdo it though.

7 comments:

Fiber on October 13, 2009 at 5:38 PM said...

I never understood the pretzels and ice cream thing until I actually had it. And it's delicious.
I'm not wild about peanut butter ice cream, but I think this recipe can be taken in a hundred different ways.
Thanks for the inspiration!

Justine on October 13, 2009 at 7:22 PM said...

Goodness. That sounds so amazing.... Sometimes I dip Fritos in my soft serve for a salty, sweet, crunchy treat and this kind of reminds me of it.

Alexandra on October 13, 2009 at 7:33 PM said...

Oh my gosh, Justine... Fritos + soft serve sounds so good. Kind of like how you dip fries in a frosty.

Fiber, glad for the inspiration! I'm not too much of a fan of peanut butter pie either -- but the pretzels definitely make it unique.

Anonymous said...

Oh my! This sounds so delicious AND so easy. What's not to love. My husband is a little goofy for peanut butter pie (and loves pretzels, actually) so I'm definitely making this. Especially since his birthday has come and gone without any special dessert. I was hoping to make a pastry cream for Napoleons (another of his favorites) but why fuss like that when you've presented me with a fantastic alternative. I'm thinking of adding a little chocolate...would that make it too sweet (just some shavings on top or something.)?

Anyway, I found you through TasteSpotting and am writing to say that if you have any photos that aren’t accepted there, I’d love to publish them. Visit my new site (below), it’s a lot of fun! I hope you will consider it.

Best,
Casey
Editor
www.tastestopping.wordpress.com

Danielle on October 14, 2009 at 7:19 AM said...

i just broke my bf's laptop. i think he deserves this pie ;-)

Mollie on October 14, 2009 at 8:10 AM said...

mmm, that looks great! I love both your blogs - I have added you to my fav's!

http://eatrunread.blogspot.com

Alexandra on October 14, 2009 at 8:18 AM said...

danielle, this'll definitely make your boyfriend
forgive you. By a million. Promise.

And thanks tastestopping! Chocolate shavings would go GREAT with this. It would almost be like the Chubby Hubby icecream from Ben'n'Jerry's... except without the nuts. :p

Thanks Mollie! I love your blog. Eating, running, and reading? Tch yeah. I'm so with you on that one.

Post a Comment

 

Dunk Twice Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template