Sunday, October 4, 2009

Maple Snickerdoodles

-00963

When I was smaller, my mom and I went on a trip to visit my Grandparents who lived in New Jersey at the time. I can't remember if we flew or drove there... but I do remember being in the car with my grandma, driving to her house.

While we were driving, I was in the backseat, swinging my legs back and forth because they were too short to reach the car floor. I was literally faceplanting the window, staring in awe at the autumn trees. Everything was covered in ruby and golden leaves. It was so gorgeous, and I had never seen anything like it before. Back in Florida, we didn't have "fall". Our trees did not change colors and we scarcely saw the transition from summer/fall/winter. Besides the chillier temperatures, we never really got a full blast of autumn like most places did up north.

I remember being totally wide-eyed and captivated by what I saw. As soon as we got back to my grandma's house, I went back outside and played in those very same leaves. Giggling like a schoolgirl. I loved it. I really did. The best part was going back inside to a warm fireplace.

That was fall to me. That was autumn.

Unfortunately, I've only been able to see that beauty once in my entire life... but it did leave a permanent mark on me. I also remember playing around with my grandma's neighbor's little girl. We would sneak down into her basement and play grocery-shopping. And then I'd secretly want to eat the plastic foods.

Don't judge me. They totally looked real.

-00959

Anyway. Living down south, the only real feel of autumn we can get is through food and spices. This is the time of the year where we start getting extra snuggly with our blankets in the early morning, and we have to literally get to our local grocery store at 6 in the morning just to get the canned pumpkin puree before anyone else does. It's also the time of the year where the smell of cinnamon, ginger, and nutmeg, can be found wherever you go. Not that I have a problem that ;).

Although nothing can compare to those autumn leaves falling down all around me, these Maple Snickerdoodles come as close as can be. Just the smell of them baking in the oven was enough to tickle my senses. And the taste? Oh baby. Move over Chocolate Chip Pumpkin Cookies. You are gonna have to wait.

They are so ridiculously easy to make -- and so, so good. Soft and extremely chewy. I love it. I seriously do. While you can bake these right after mixing the dough, I prefer to refrigerate my dough because of the humidity. And because I don't like my cookies to spread too much.

Remember though, when making these, you want to use REAL MAPLE SYRUP. Not that fake stuff you put all over pancakes. Although that stuff is good too. But not for these cookies. Trust me on this one. It's worth the splurge. You can find real maple syrup right by the fake stuff in the pancake aisle. If you want, you could definitely use it to replace the fake stuff. So much better. Soooo good.

Do you have any cookies that remind you of fall or maybe just some good autumn memories? Or maybe foods that you particularly tie along with the coming of colder weather? Share your stories! I'd love to hear them. :)

That is, if you can stop trying to maul your screen. :P

-00947

Maple Snickerdoodles

Ingredients:
2 cups all purpose flour
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
¼ teaspoon baking soda
1 ½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon salt
½ cup butter, softened
1 cup granulated sugar
3 tablespoons real maple syrup
1 egg

1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tbsp cinnamon

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt.
3. In a large bowl, cream the margarine and 1 cup sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in the maple syrup and egg until combined. Add dry ingredients. Beat until just mixed.
4. Combine 1/4 cup granulated sugar and 2tbsp of cinnamon in a bowl.
5. Roll dough into 1-inch balls. Roll each ball in cinnamon-sugar mix. Arrange balls on cookie sheets, 2 inches apart.
6. Bake until tops are crackly, about 8 to 10 minutes. (Mine took about 7)
7. Remove from oven, and leave cookies on sheets to cool slightly. Transfer cookies to wire rack to cool completely.

1 comments:

Flirting with Flour on December 21, 2009 at 4:52 PM said...

I too love the smell of seasonal spices! Whats more, my dad is from Canada and they add maple syrup to (almost) everything. If you like maple syrup try adding it to apple pie - my dad always makes it this way and its sooo good! (and you're right - it has to be the real stuff!) I love sinkerdoodles and will definitely try this! Thanks for sharing. Happy Holidays!

Post a Comment

 

Dunk Twice Copyright © 2009 Cookiez is Designed by Ipietoon for Free Blogger Template